You probably ended up here because you need some inspiration for your contribution to my call for COVID-19 impressions. Following are two lists of questions: one to determine which location you want to record and at what time, another one to encourage self-reflection and inspiration for your descriptive texts.
You could use the following questions as a guide when choosing a place and a moment to record:
- How do you relate to public space in the current circumstances?
- At the moment, what role does public space play in your life?
- To which places in public space have you been more frequently in the last two/three weeks?
- To which places in public space haven’t you been anymore in the last two/three weeks?
- What is the busiest time of day at the location you have chosen?
- What is the most quiet time of day at the location you have chosen?
- Right now, is there a place in public space that frightens you?
- Right now, is there a place in public space that gives you pleasure?
- Right now, is there a place in public space that gives you peace of mind?
- Right now, is there a place in public space that gives you energy?
- What (unreachable) place do you long for? How do you cope with this desire?
At the chosen location and during the recording process, the following questions might inspire you:
- What sounds are at the foreground?
- What sounds lay in the background?
- What sound(s) is/are absent?
- Did you expect the place to sound like this?
- What would this place normally – before the current lockdown – sound like? Is there a difference in what it sounds like now?